Report an Adverse Event to VAERS
VAERS is a passive reporting system, meaning it relies on individuals to send in reports of their experiences. Anyone can submit a report to VAERS, including parents and patients.
Healthcare providers are required by law to report to VAERS:
- Any adverse event listed in the VAERS Table of Reportable Events Following Vaccination that occurs within the specified time period after vaccinations
- An adverse event listed by the vaccine manufacturer as a contraindication to further doses of the vaccine
Healthcare providers are strongly encouraged to report to VAERS:
- Any adverse event that occurs after the administration of a vaccine licensed in the United States, whether it is or is not clear that a vaccine caused the adverse event
- Vaccine administration errors
Vaccine manufacturers are required to report to VAERS all adverse events that come to their attention.
Online reporting is strongly encouraged. Please report clinically important adverse events that occur after vaccination of adults and children, even if you are not sure whether the vaccine caused the adverse event.
The Vaccine Adverse Event Reporting System (VAERS) accepts all reports, including reports of vaccination errors. Guidance on reporting vaccination errors is available if you have additional questions.
Knowingly filing a false VAERS report is a violation of Federal law (18 U.S. Code § 1001) punishable by fine and imprisonment.
Two Ways to Submit an Online Report to VAERS
Option 1 – Report Online to VAERSSubmit a VAERS report online. The report must be completed online and submitted in one sitting and cannot be saved and returned to at a later time. Your information will be erased if you are inactive for 20 minutes; you will receive a warning after 15 minutes.Option 2 – Report using a Writable PDF FormDownload the Writable PDF Form to a computer. Complete the VAERS report offline if you do not have time to complete it all at once. Return to this page to upload the completed Writable PDF form by clicking here.
If you need further assistance with reporting to VAERS, please email [email protected] or call 1-800-822-7967.
What will I need to fill out the report?
- Patient information (age, date of birth, sex)
- Vaccine information (brand name, dosage)
- Date, time, and location administered
- Date and time when adverse event(s) started
- Symptoms and outcome of the adverse event(s)
- Medical tests and laboratory results (if applicable)
- Physician’s contact information (if applicable)