Change power and sleep settings in Windows – operating system manufacturers are introducing more and more features with every update and upgrade. In the last few years, world-famous operating systems such as Windows by Microsoft have changed so much more than you can imagine.
Because of these rapid changes, it is becoming very hard for regular users to understand each setting and function. There are only a handful of people in the world who know every function of operating systems.
A regular user always looks for other help to use those features or change some settings. For example, not many people know how to change power and sleep settings in windows.
These power and sleep settings in windows allow its users To get the best performance available on their devices by saving battery power and much more.
change power and sleep settings in windows 10
First of all, let’s take a look at the power and sleep settings in Windows 10, which is one of the latest versions of Windows offered by Microsoft.
There are multiple ways to change power and sleep settings in Windows 10. We will take a look at all of them, and then you can decide which is best for you.
- First of all, you can click on the start icon or press the Windows key on your keyboard.
- In the start menu, click on the settings icon.
- Now in the settings, click on system, and in the left menu, click the fifth option named power and sleep.
- Yeah, here you will find two sections with four options, and you can make changes based on your preferences.
Now let’s take a look at the second way to change power and sleep settings in Windows 10.
- Kindly right-click on the start icon in windows 10.
- After the right-clicking search for power options settings, usually, it’s the third setting from the top.
- After clicking on power settings in the menu, it will directly take you to the power and sleep settings in Windows 10.
- Similar to the above steps, you will find two sections of screen and power with four total settings to change.
Change power and sleep settings in Windows 11
Now let’s take a look at how you can easily change power and sleep settings in Windows 11. It is the latest operating system offered by Microsoft, and people struggle to find these simple settings because of the unique user interface.
Opposite to Windows 10, it also has different options and settings included in it, such as battery levels, battery saver, battery usage, etc.
- Click on the start icon in windows 11.
- Now in the start menu, open settings.
- Then go to the system and look for power and battery.
Other than that, you can also change power and sleep settings in Windows 11 by right-clicking on the start icon then going to power options. It will also open the same settings.
Kindly remember that if you do not know what you are doing, try not to change any settings. It may result in poor performance.
Change power and sleep settings in Windows 8/8.1
Even though Windows 8 and 8.1 were a complete failure as compared to its prior and successor versions.
Still, many people use it as their primary operating system and find it very hard to change power and sleep settings in windows 8/8.1.
- Kindly click on the start button and hover on the right side of your screen.
- As soon as you start hovering your cursor on the right side of the screen, it will come up with a few options.
- Kindly click on the search icon and type power and sleep.
- After typing power and sleep, it will come up with a few search results, and you can click on power and sleep settings.
Change power and sleep settings in Windows 7
Windows 7 was no doubt the best and most popular operating system offered by Microsoft. Even after Windows 7, Microsoft has launched three different operating systems, but still, Windows 7 has a big fan base, and people are actively using it.
- Kindly click on the start icon to change power and sleep settings in Windows 7.
- After clicking on start, I can go to the control panel.
- And in the control panel, search for the power options icon.
- If you are not able to find power options, kindly click on small icons, and it will open more settings.
- In the power options, kindly click on change plan settings.
Major power and sleep settings in windows
As we talked about previously, if you don’t know what you are doing in power and sleep settings, then kindly don’t try to change anything. You might change different settings than required, and it may hamper the performance or battery life of your device.
Let’s take a look at major power and sleep settings in windows so that you can easily change as per your need.
The first section you will see in the power and sleep settings is the screen. Here you can tell your operating system when to turn off your laptop screen.
It is set at 15 minutes when the system is on battery power by default. And similarly, 15 minutes when the system is plugged in. You can change these settings as you like.
Any change in screen turn-off time can either save battery or increase performance by constantly keeping the screen on.
The next major section in power and sleep settings are the sleep itself. You can set when your system should Go to sleep.
By default, it is set at 15 minutes, but you can easily change it as you like. If you want to save battery when the system is working on an internal battery, then you can set it to 15 minutes.
And if you want high performance, then you can set it at one hour or never. In that case, your system will never go to sleep. And you will get the highest performance.
advanced power and sleep settings in windows
Most of the time, people change power and sleep settings in windows because they want to maximize the performance or uses of their laptops.
If you put your system at high performance, it will not care about the battery percentage. Your system will run on full resources and try to provide the best performance.
On the other hand, if you put your laptop on power saver mode, then it will try to do anything to save power and give you long-lasting operating hours.
The third thing is the balanced approach. It will try to balance both power saver and high-performance settings which is the default setting in Windows 10 and also recommended by every tech expert.
If you want to create a custom power plan in any windows for your home, workplace, and traveling, you can use the steps given below.
- Kindly open the run prompt by clicking on the windows icon and R key.
- Now in the run prompt, kindly type powercfg.cpl
- As soon as you type the command and press OK, it will open different power options.
- Here you have to find an option named to create a plan. Generally, your laptop is set at a balanced approach which is recommended by the operating system manufacturer and tech experts.
- Now in the custom power plan, you can create either high performance, power-saver overbalanced approach profile.
- It will allow you to quickly switch the profile as you need.
Other than these functions, you can also select what your power and sleep buttons should do when you click them. You can also change the settings of closing the lid.
For example, if you want your system to shut down as soon as you press the power button, you can change it here. You can tell your computer when to put your computer to sleep, hibernate, turn off the display, or shut down.
Just like power and sleep options, you can set your battery and plug-in preference differently. For example, if you want to shut down your laptop as soon as you close the lid on the battery, you can do it here.
There are many combinations and permutations you can use to maximize the performance of your system.
A laptop has become the need of the hour, and we are using it in different settings. For example, we use them at home, officers even while traveling. So it becomes very important for us to learn all the settings that can help increase the performance and battery life simultaneously.
It is always beneficial to change power and sleep settings on windows while traveling. Because you want to save as much battery juice as possible, on the other hand, when you are in your office or home, you should maximize the performance because the battery is not going to be an issue as you have a power outlet near you.
Can I change Power and sleep settings On the windows desktop?
Yes, you can easily change power and sleep settings on a Windows desktop. Even on the desktop, you have to use the given steps to access the settings, and here you can change any power and sleep setting you want.
Leave a Reply